News

Right2Know demands SABC’s Motsoeneng steps down

Right2Know (R2K) on Nonday handed over a memorandum to the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) asking for the public broadcaster to end its self-censorship.

Micah Reddy‚ the media freedom organiser from R2K‚ said the SABC had gone from being a proud public broadcaster to a public relations machine for Luthuli House‚ the headquarters of the African National Congress.

 In its memorandum‚ R2K also asked for the SABC to withdraw its revised editorial policy which‚ according to Reddy‚ will give Hlaudi Motsoeneng‚ the public broadcaster’s chief operating officer the final say on which news should be aired and how.

The third demand was for Motsoeneng to step down.

“The SABC is a critical institution with the greatest [audience] reach. Millions of South Africans rely on it for information and news. We demand critical news that is fair‚” said Reddy.

 The march to the SABC offices came in the wake of Motsoeneng’s announcement that the public broadcaster would no longer show footage of violent protests as this incited the protesters to be more violent.

Reddy accused Motsoeneng of being Communications Minister Faith Muthambi’s lap dog. He also said Motsoeneng had ignored company regulations and given himself an increase that was unjustifiable.

 Kaizer Kganyago‚ the spokesperson of the SABC‚ accepted the memorandum on behalf of the management and said they would revert once the list of demands had been assessed.

 Reddy said they would be embarking on more civil unrest action should the SABC not heed to its demands. Earlier protesters were chanting that Hlaudi go back to school.

Protesters sing ‘Hlaudi back to school’ at picket against SABC censorship

A small group of picketers from the Right2Know campaign gathered outside the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) studios in Durban on Monday‚ calling for the resignation of chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng.

About 12 people bearing placards voiced their protest about the SABC’s decision that it would not cover any violent protests on television or radio.

Some of the placards read “SABC not an ANC mouthpiece but a public broadcaster“‚ “SABC COO must go” and “Apartheid Censorship in 2016“.

The group of peaceful protesters said the SABC’s decision was tantamount to censorship.

 Provincial coordinator for Right2Know Thabane Miya said they will picket every week until the decision was rescinded.

Miya said: “We want to bring back the public confidence in the public broadcaster.”

The SABC also canned a media programme The Editors and the airing of newspaper headlines from around the country.

“This is censorship. People must decide what they want to see. They shouldn’t be dictated to‚ “said Miya.

Protesters sang “Hlaudi back to school” outside the office of the SABC studio.

 

 

 

Featured Video